An initial national report for Ireland on PIRLS 2016 was published on December 5th 2017, to coincide with the release of the international report. Currently, this page provides links to publications about PIRLS (and TIMSS) 2011, divided into those that are specific to Ireland, and those from the International Study Center.
PIRLS in Ireland
Eivers, E., Gilleece, L., & Delaney, E. (2017). PIRLS 2016: Initial results. Dublin: Educational Research Centre.
Eivers, E., Gilleece, L., & Delaney, E. (2017). Reading achievement in PIRLS 2016: Initial report for Ireland. Dublin: Educational Research Centre.
Sample test items used in PIRLS 2016
PIRLS International Study Center
All reports below are available from the International Study Center website: https://timssandpirls.bc.edu/pirls2016
Mullis, I.V.S., & Martin, M.O. (Eds.) (2015). PIRLS 2016 assessment framework (2nd ed.). Chestnut Hill, MA: TIMSS & PIRLS International Study Center, Boston College.
Mullis, I. V. S., Martin, M. O., Foy, P., & Hooper, M. (2017a). PIRLS 2016 international results in reading.
Mullis, I. V. S., Martin, M. O., Foy, P., & Hooper, M. (2017b). ePIRLS 2016 international results in online informational reading.
Mullis, I. V. S., Martin, M. O., Goh, S., & Prendergast, C. (Eds.). (2017). PIRLS 2016 encyclopedia: education policy and curriculum in reading.
An edited volume of thematic reports on PIRLS and TIMSS in Ireland – “National Schools, international contexts: Beyond the PIRLS and TIMSS test results” – was published in June 2013.
Click here to access the report in its entirety, or select from the links below to access chapters individually.
1. PIRLS and TIMSS 2011: Overview (Eivers & Clerkin)
2. Features of policy and provision (Lewis & Archer)
3. Pupil engagement (Clerkin & Creaven)
4. Pupils’ languages (Eivers)
5. Teachers and teaching practices (Clerkin)
6. Home-school interaction (Eivers & Creaven)
7. Reading literacy in PIRLS 2011 (Concannon-Gibney & Shiel)
8. Mathematics items: Context and curriculum (Close)
9. Science items: Context and curriculum (Murphy)
10. Understanding achievement in PIRLS and TIMSS 2011 (Cosgrove & Creaven)
Click here to see a brochure summarising some of the main information in these thematic reports.
Click the links below to access:
- the PIRLS 2011 initial national report on the reading, mathematics and science achievement of Irish Fourth class pupils (published in December 2012).
- a selection of the questions used in the real-life tests, and information on how Irish pupils performed on each question.
- a short flyer outlining the initial findings.
- a Technical Report, describing (for Ireland) sampling and administration procedures, participation rates, and quality control measures.
The PIRLS and TIMSS International Study Center website can be accessed at http://timssandpirls.bc.edu/
From this site, you can download or purchase:
- The international PIRLS report for 2011
- The PIRLS encyclopaediae, including a chapter on Ireland
- The PIRLS assessment framework
- A report examining the relationships between reading, maths and science achievement among Fourth grade pupils who took all three tests in 2011.