Temporary positions available for the scoring of student responses on reading, mathematics and science assessments
About the Positions
In April, May and June 2018, the Educational Research Centre (ERC) will be involved in scoring student responses on the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) and Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS).
PISA is an international computer-based assessment of 15-year-olds in reading literacy, science and mathematics. It is a study of the OECD in which over 70 countries are participating.
TIMSS is an international comparative study of mathematics and science achievement at both primary (Fourth class) and post-primary (Second Year) level. It takes place every four years and over 60 countries will participate in the current cycle of the study. In Ireland, the assessments are administered in paper-based format.
Scoring takes place at the Educational Research Centre (ERC) from 9:30 am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday. Scorers work within a small subject team marking individual student responses. Training in how to score students’ responses will be provided (including marking schemes and examples). For PISA, three teams of scorers will be formed, one for each subject area. For TIMSS, two teams of eight scorers will be formed– one team for primary level, and one for post-primary – and mathematics and science will be scored by the same teams.
Scoring for each element will take place on the following dates:
• PISA Mathematics: Monday 16th April to Friday 27th April 2018
• TIMSS (mathematics and science): Monday 30th April to Friday 11th May
• PISA Reading: Monday 21st May to Friday 8th June 2018
• PISA Science: Tuesday 5th June to Friday 15th June 2018
Payment is €14 per hour with a six-hour working day, with lunch between 12.30-1.30pm.
Note: the scoring tasks may finish a few days before or after the dates indicated.
• All scorers need to be fully proficient in English.
• All scorers must be prepared to work in a collaborative environment.
• Scorers can apply for one or more elements of the scoring (outlined above), provided that they will have full-time availability within the relevant dates.
• Scorers are required to have a third-level qualification (honours) in a relevant discipline (e.g., humanities, mathematics, science, engineering, teaching).
How to Apply:
Applicants should submit their CV and a short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:00am on Monday, 26th March 2018. The cover letter should outline how applicants meet the requirements of the role and confirm the dates that they will be available for work.
Applicants will be selected on the basis of the information they submit to the ERC. The ERC may telephone applicants in advance of finalising its selection to clarify points in their applications. Applicants may be offered work for one or more parts but not necessarily all parts of the scoring.
Applicants will be informed of the ERC’s decision by 9th April 2018.
More information on TIMSS in Ireland or PISA in Ireland can be found at www.erc.ie/timss & www.erc.ie/pisa.
For further information about the scoring positions, please contact Paula Chute at 01 8065 210, or
e-mail Paula at email@example.com.